TRAVEL DIARY

KITCHEN GARDEN

HOUSEPLANTS

Fifty Shades of Exhaustion




Finally. I can breathe.
For the past few months, I've been feeling like there's a rope around my neck. Preparing for an assessment to pursue a career upgrade is physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausting.

Being in a foreign place, I feel quite nervous because for so long I've been used to the standards of the healthcare field back home. I've discouraged myself quite a few times knowing that it's almost like going back to square one. I've always had the knack for being only halfway done with just about anything. That being said, I would rather just stay where I am now rather than go through a lengthy process of upgrading.

To be honest, I really enjoyed my front end job a lot, but I know that times are hard. 'You gotta hustle' as they say.

It's a bit difficult trying to move from where you're at because even though we hate to admit it, we have bills to pay. Yes, bills. The bills always come first. That is a very unfortunate fact.

What makes it a bit worse is that the income one earns in Vancouver does not do justice to the expenses and housing problems people face. Fortunately, my husband has  a stronger spirit than I do, so he keeps encouraging me and reminding me to not stray too far from our goals. 

He would always be at the receiving end of my rants: of how I don't feel the drive to pursue being a nurse anymore, not because I don't really want to, but because I feel stuck and incompetent. My best bet in this situation is to stay mediocre.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with that. Personally, it took a while for me to realize that I should not be one to complain or lose hope. Not everybody is given an opportunity to go a bit higher, and it would be a shame to pass up this chance just because I don't want to leave my comfort zone. 

So, yes. I struggled to 'start trying'. If that makes sense.

I've had to study for the past few months with these thoughts and realities distracting me, but I've found that if you feel physically, mentally, and emotionally burned out, the best thing to do is:
  1. PAUSE. Clear your head, Take a deep breath.
  2. RELAX: watch a movie, eat, listen to music, read a book, paint. Whatever frees your mind.
  3. RANT. Write it down, talk to a friend, let your thoughts be heard, rant. Be mindful of the other party though, rant but don't be a nuisance or distraction to others.
  4. 4-7-8. TRY THIS BREATHING TECHNIQUE. Full instructions are in the link: 
    • Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound. 
    • Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four
    • Hold your breath for a count of seven
    • Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight. 
    • This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.

    They say it tranquilizes your nervous system. It worked for me.
  5. If you have cleared your head, try to remember why you started, and if you feel it is still worth the shot, carry on.
  6. Strive to become a better version of yourself everyday.
  7. Repeat steps 1-6.
It will help not only when you need to focus on studying, it  also works when you're angry, or any other situation that requires a clear mind. 

Let me end this post with #8. If all else fails, COFFEE. And while you're at it, remind yourself that you have a lot of potential and you've got so much more to give.

P.S. Surround yourself with lots of colours, it'll help boost your optimism.


No comments

Back to Top Displaying slider-fix.txt.